Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cloth Diapers: What are the ';rules'; about washing them?

How do you wash and care for yours?


I want to use prefolds but I plan to try other ideas as well.Cloth Diapers: What are the ';rules'; about washing them?
Always dump waste out of them and rinse them before putting into the diaper pail. Use some white vinegar in the diaper pail water to cut down odors and help to purify the diapers.





When you wash them. Put them in the washer from the diaper pail and run them through one rinse/spin cycle.





Wash the diapers in either hot or cold water, I prefer hot to kill bacteria, and use a good detergent that has NO fabric softeners in it and NO bleach in it and NOT one of the chemical free types either.





Wash the diapers on the normal or heavy cycle. DO NOT uses any kind of bleach and DO NOT use any kind of fabric softener. The bleach destroys the fibers and causes the diaper to wear out. Fabric softeners coat the fibers and makes them less absorbent.





Use a second final rinse cycle, put a cup of white vinegar in the water during the first rinse but nothing in the second, then put them in the dryer or better yet, hang them in the sun, The sun is a natural bleach and whitener. If you don't believe me, check out some blonde's hair sometime that's been to the beach a lot.





Fold your diapers as you normally would and they are now ready for your next use.





I applaud you for using cloth. It is best for the environment and also best for your baby.





Good luck.Cloth Diapers: What are the ';rules'; about washing them?
You are more than welcome, my pleasure! Report Abuse

The ';rules'; ?





Please wash them and let them dry before you reuse them.





Anything specific is dependent on the person doing the washing - do whatever works for you and your baby without causing too much extra work or stress !





Personally, I use Tide. I sometimes bleach the prefolds and pocket inserts. I don't bleach covers. I hang-dry everything, since we don't own a dryer. I do a quick cold wash, then a long hot wash, then hang them up.
I used prefolds with my first baby and also the ones that you had to fold. I just washed them with a powdered detergentent don't use bleach. Bleach really makes them break down and not last as long. With my second baby due in Auguest I have bought the Dappie diapers that are like the prefolded but they have velcro on them so no pins are needed. My husband thought he might like those better. I am going to try them and also plan on using prefolds as a backup in a pinch. After washing your diapers hanging them outside if you can helps with removing the stains. The sunlight just does something for them. But drying in dryer is okay also. Good luck and glad you have made the decision on using cloth. :-)
  • master cleanse
  • oil gas
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment