Monday, December 21, 2009

Wash Rule, might be in big trouble please help?

So I decided trying to make some money day trading last fall. So I pretty much bought and sold the same stock over and over and again until (unfortunately) Jan. 06, '09. The problem is I didn't know anything about the wash rule until now when I started doing my taxes. So If I understand the wash rule correctly since I didn't take a break for 31 days all my gains will be applied to '08 and all my losses will go on my '09 return.





So am I going to have to pay taxes on on the gaining trades, about $60,000, even though in reality I only made like $7,000?





Also, I pretty much lost all the money I was trading with in '09 so I don't have any capital gains to balance out the deferred losses from '08. Since you can only deduct $3,000 a year for capital gains losses it would take me 30 years at $3,000 a year to get my money back.





Am I screwed or is there any way to avoid having these losses deferred to '09?Wash Rule, might be in big trouble please help?
I don't think you've done the match correctly.





One hopes you bought and sold in even lot sizes or this will be an even bigger pain to calculate.





Say you sold 100 shares in January at a loss and then bought 100 shares in February. You add the loss to the February lot. This increases the odds that when you sell the February lot it's either a tiny gain or a loss....
  • master cleanse
  • oil gas
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment